(OUR PASTRY ALTER-EGO)
- 680g/1.5 lbs eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 0.5 orange, juice and zest only
- 100g/3.5 oz caster sugar
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 55g/2oz sultanas
- 6-8 sheets ready-made filo pastry
- 55g/2oz butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Place the apple, orange juice and zest, sugar, nutmeg and sultanas into a large bowl and mix well.
- Brush each sheet of filo pastry with melted butter, then place the sheets of pastry on top of each other onto a large sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Sprinkle the top sheet of filo with some dried breadcrumbs, then spoon the apple mixture down the middle of the filo sheet.
- Carefully roll the pastry up around the filling like a cigar, using the greaseproof paper to help.
- Place the filo roll onto a greased baking tray, brush with any remaining melted butter and cook for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned and the filling is hot.